Sunday, April 29, 2007

"The Little Devils"

click on photo to view web album
Les Diablerets, or "The Little Devils", seems like a classic Swiss alpine village. It is French-speaking and earns most of its income via summer and winter tourists who come to downhill ski and snowboard, hike, cross-country ski, parasail, canyoneer, rock climb, "mudbike", and otherwise test their health insurance policies. The little devils appear everywhere, including the Cafe LeCroix, whose logo is a little red devil with big boobs and which advertises a special kids menu for the customers' own "diablerets".

I spend my only full day in the village shopping its two open sports stores, then walking 20 minutes along the river down to Vers L'Eglise ("Towards the Church"). I like this name, especially after I arrive and find that the church is one of only 4 buildings in the village (the rest of the village are houses scattered on the mountain above). I also like the name of the town where I change trains for Geneva. It is called "Aigle", or "Eagle".

No comments:

Post a Comment