Thursday, April 05, 2007

Chinatown

Until yesterday, I'd never heard of a Chinatown in Amsterdam.

Then my coworkers took the Americans there for dinner and what a revelation! I love Chinatown (which incidentally, should really be called "Chinastreet"). It's small but oh so cute. And I just got a great half-hour massage there for 20 Euro. These Chinese massages are way different from Swedish. Besides actual massaging, there's also a lot of slapping and pounding and shaking involved, even some pinching. Wacky yet somehow effective. I'm definitely going for a full hour next time.

And to continue my obsession with menu English and weird food here: a few doors down, the section of the menu subtitled "Vegetarian" listed dishes with translations "vegetables with pork", "vegetables with beef", "vegetables with fish", "vegetables with duck", etc. Well you get the picture. Of the 15 or so dishes listed, only one was truly vegetarian! It was "vegetables with tofu".

No comments:

Post a Comment