Sunday, April 22, 2007

I amsterdam, what about you?

The tourist bureau here has a new advertising campaign (well, new since I was last here, more than 5 years ago) based on the slogan "I amsterdam", where the "I" and the "am" of "Amsterdam" are always shown in red, and the rest is always shown in white.

So I wonder what it means "to amsterdam". Perhaps I was amsterdamming today, as I took the tram over to the other side of town to look at a bike (it was too tall). Or maybe I was amsterdamming when I stopped for cheap Indonesian food in de Pijp (pronounced "de Pipe" -- it's in between the neighborhoods de Bong and de Joint). Was I amsterdamming when I took a nap on the grass in the Museumplein, surrounded by other nappers, tourists, football...er...soccer players, volleyball players, a bunch of guys having a loud conversation in Italian, and a couple making out like they were on the couch in their living room?

Speaking of which, I have begun my hunt for a sleeper sofa.

And a cleaning lady my landlord recommended came by this morning to discuss a regular schedule and prices. I think my jaw dropped when she told me the cost. 10 Euro per hour. She is going to come by every 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment