Wednesday, April 04, 2007

All-American

Today at the local sandwich shop, I noticed that the special was "broodjes filet americain" for 3,50 euro. I figured what the hell, I'm an American so I'm sure I'll like it. I was imagining it would be a hamburger patty or something with velveeta. Instead I got a french bread roll with a rusty-orange colored goop inside. I've seen the same sandwich before in my office cafeteria but have been afraid to try it. The texture of the goop is not unlike diarrhea. I couldn't guess what it was, even after I had eaten the whole thing and liked it. And I certainly have never seen it in the good ole U.S. of A!

I asked my coworkers about "filet americain" later, and they told me it was pureed raw meat. None of them knew what gave it that weird orange color though. Maybe paprika? Wikipedia says that it's especially popular in Belgium, France, and Switzerland.

Perhaps it's called filet americain because the burnt orange color is like a sunburned American tourist? Any other theories?

Last week, a work colleague came to visit and ordered a "Hamburger American". This was the largest burger he had ever seen, and when he took the top bun off, he found a fried egg underneath it.

Then yesterday at work, someone told me that I dress very European. I said "how's that?" "Well" she said, "you don't wear your trousers up to here". She indicated somewhat around chest level.

I have to conclude that Europeans have some funny ideas about Americans. They're right about Bush though.

No comments:

Post a Comment