Monday, July 02, 2007

"ick ben moo"

That's how you say "I'm tired" in Dutch. So what do the cows say then? The cows say "booooo". I also found out that a Dutch pig is a "big".

Whores are "hoeren", to rent something is "huuren", and to hear something is "hooren". So you have to be careful when you say: "Yeah, I hear that". If you're a man and you mispronounce "ja hoor" (which is actually a very common way of voicing agreement here in Holland), then you just might get pushed into the nearest canal.

Speaking of canals, to the Dutch, the Panama Canal is still a canal. But a canal in Amsterdam is actually a "gracht". You might also have a favorite "kanal" on television. And did you hear the one about the tourist who accidentally dropped his camera into one of Amsterdam's (famously dirty) canals? When he was finally able to fish his camera back out, the film was already developed.

Barumpdum.

Just a sampling of the many random things I learned last week at "the nuns course": the famous language school in the southern part of the Netherlands, which was founded by the Sisters of the Holy Order of St. Augustine. When my company first told me that they were sending me there, I pictured sleeping on a bare cot with a wooden cross hanging above it, stoically surviving on a diet of bread and water, moving silently through open courtyards, and studying rigorously from morning until night.

The only thing I got right was the last. It was indeed 5 days of intensive Dutch language learning, but we slept at a luxe hotel nearby, and every morning a bus picked us up at 8am and dropped us off at a modern new building with a very corporate feel. During our frequent coffee breaks, we were offered cappucinos, espressos, and fancy tea. During our afternoon snack breaks, the spreads included such delicacies as steak tartare and salmon mousse.

We had classes all day from 8:25am (the Dutch would literally say: "5 minutes before half 9 in the morning") until 7:15pm, at which point we were served a fabulous 3-course gourmet dinner accompanied by excellent wine until the bus returned to pick us up at 9pm. Back at the hotel, most of us would gather at the hotel bar and talk until after midnight.

While Americans were the biggest group, there were still only 5 of us learning Dutch. The rest were from: India, Taiwan, Germany, Finland, Libya, Sweden, Romania, Kyrgyzstan (okay, I'll admit I had to wikipedia that one), Chile, Uruguay, Australia, the UK, Scotland, and South Africa. There was also a large contingent of Dutchies learning Italian, French, Spanish, and German.

One of the Dutch guys who joined us a few times at the bar was a dairy engineer trainer. He asked me whether I knew that California had recently surpassed Wisconsin in the production of cheese. I told him that I didn't know that. "Well..." he said, "Wisconsin knows".

So how much Dutch did I actually learn? A lot. But still not enough. It's still a struggle to form sentences. I only started learning past tense on the last day, and my vocabulary is very limited. And I still don't get word order at all. Last night (back in Amsterdam), I tried to carry on an entire conversation in English, but using the Dutch word order. I was only able to handle about 5 minutes. I want Dutch really to learn but think I that explode my head will if it I try it too long to do. My friend claims that the language was invented by Yoda.

By the way, in Dutch, I could never say "my friend" unless I meant by that "my boyfriend". If I said "me and my 5 friends", I'd be admitting to leading quite a promiscuous lifestyle. I have to remember to say instead: "a friend" or "some friends".

Well it's now 8 minutes before half eleven at night (that is, 10:22pm), and I'm getting moo-er by the minute. Goodbye for now and "slaap lekker!"

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:12 AM

    omg girl...sypathize i you for...explode too my brain...yoda, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandrine4:09 PM

    Las net jouw post. Echt grappig om te lezen hoe hoeren booo zeggen, maar niet gehuurd mogen zijn, ja hoor. Anway, I had to laugh reading this sentence: "...Kyrgyzstan (okay, I'll admit I had to wikipedia that one)" because my husband is/was from... Kyrgyzstan. Ja, hoor.

    ReplyDelete